Share Fraud Warning
If you are approached and offered unsolicited investment advice, discounted shares and free company reports, you should:
- Take the name of the person and the firm contacting you.
- Check the Financial Services Register at fca.org.uk to ensure they are an authorised organisation.
- Use the details on the Financial Services Register to contact the firm.
To help avoid scams you should:
- Reject unexpected offers: scammers usually cold call, but contact can also come by email, post, word of mouth or at a seminar. If you’ve been offered an investment out of the blue, chances are it’s a high risk investment or a scam.
- Check the FCA Warning List: use the FCA Warning List to check the risks of a potential investment – you can also search to see if the firm is known to be operating without FCA authorisation.
- Get impartial advice: get impartial advice before investing – don’t use an adviser from the firm that contacted you.